Author Topic: HMU USMLE Group Discussion  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
HMU USMLE Group Discussion
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:24:42 PM »
Topic: Blood cells and Coagulation

It's hard to review everything in the chapter Hematology and Oncology in just a 90-minute discussion. Therfore, we decided to choose only a small piece of this chapter to discuss about. The chosen topic were Blood cells and Coagulation (p. 287 to p. 291 - First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, 2006), which was presented by me, Gothmania. I am currently a second year student and this topic is really necessary to me. Looking up the knowledge in Physiology and Immunology, I have made a 30-minute presentation about Blood cells differentiation, 3 types of Blood cells, Blood clotting forming and Lysis of Blood clotting ... Because my knowledge was limited, I only stopped at the Physiology of Blood cells and Coagulation, however, some clinical information about hematologic disorders was also included. I introduced them but didn't tell the detail (the next discussion will provide the detail). After the presentation, we discussed around the topic. I have picked up 3 questions from Kaplan's QBook for discussion. Also, there were some other questions given during discussing:

- Where is Hemoglobin located in erythrocytes? How does Oxygen bind to Hemoglobin?
- What provides energy for erythrocytes?
- What leads to decrease of coagulation factors in Vitamin K Deficiency?

We finished discussing after about 90 minutes and the discussion was really interesting. Physiology of Blood is really important, in my opinion.

Our next discussion:
Time: 17h30, Monday, Oct 29th 2007
Venue: HMU Student Club (2nd floor, near Canteen)
Topic: Hematologic Disorders - Anemia, Lymphomas and Leukemia (p. 298 to p.304)
Presenter: Ly Na and Hanh (both 5th year student in HMU)

If you are in Ha Noi, and interested in this activity, you can come to join us.

- Every contact detail, please send email to:
   Dinh Huynh Linh (currently leader of HMU USMLE Group): dinhhuynhlinh@yahoo.com
   Hoang Bao Long (Gothmania): dragon_in_nightmare@yahoo.com

- The discussion activities are updated periodically in our student forum http://dhyhn.com
- For the reviews of our previous discussions, please visit http://www.dhyhn.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=18;t=78

- You can register to become a member of dhyhn and give us more ideas about "Activities of HMU USMLE Group". All ideas, please put them in http://www.dhyhn.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=18;t=77

I will also make a topic here to talk about everything concerns with HMU USMLE Group. This topic is not used for showing ideas. If you have any questions about the topic (Blood cells and Coagulation), please put it here and we'll discuss.

Thank you for reading!

PS: I also upload my presentation. It's not everything I said but the brief of the whole discussion. You may have some interests in it.

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: HMU USMLE Group Discussion - Oct 15th 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
I have also prepared some easy questions about Physiology of Blood. To almost you here, they seem to be no longer necessary or too "young" for you to answer. But I hope that we can remember something from here. I highly recommend these questions for 2nd year students in medical universities.

A. What do these abbreviations stand for?
- PHSC
- WBC
- RBC
- MCH
- MCHC
- MCV
- CFU
- tPA
- DIC

B. Give a brief information about these terms:
- Anucleate
- Hypochromic
- Macrocytosis
- Anisocytosis
- Poikilocytosis
- Polycythemia
- Basophil
- Eosinophil
- Neutrophil
- Thrombocyte
- Thrombocytopenia
- Emboli

C. What type of cells will these cells differentiate into?
- Blastocyte
- Monocyte
- T Lymphocyte
- B Lymphocyte
- Megakaryocyte

D. Answer these questions?
- What may lead to lack of Vitamin B12 and Folic acid? What hematologic disorder it may cause?
- Which types of leukocyte can present antigen?
- Which types of leukocyte are degranulocytes?
- A boy infected with bacteria. In your opinion, what types of leukocyte will increase in the blood?
- How many coagulation pathways are there in a human body? Give a brief description about each: what causes start the pathway, which factors are used in the pathway ...
- Give brief descriptions about coagulation factor inhibitors that you know.
- From your Physiology and Biochemistry knowledge, explain why hepatic diseases (cirrhosis, hepatitis, etc) may cause coagulation disorders.
- A small question: in 13 coagulation factors, which is not in the plasma?

Many questions it seems. But it's really interesting to answer these questions. You guys don't have to answer all of them, and also, you don't have to consider if your answers are correct or not, because I only list those things in order to remind you of Physiology of Blood.

Thank you for paying attention!

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: HMU USMLE Group Discussion
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:13:43 AM »
Discussion October 29th 2007

Topic: Anemia, Bleeding Disorders

The topic seems to be very "small" compared with the whole chapter. However, Ly Na, the presenter, had taken such a careful and detailed presentation that it lasted for over 1 hour. We did enjoy it a lot. She had made references in many books, and also taken some photographs on the real patients at the National Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion (NIHBT Ha Noi). I really appreciated her effort. After the presentation, I gave a clinical case found in the Blackwell's Underground Clinical Vignettes 3rd Edition - Pathophysiology Vol. II about Sickle Cell Anemia.

However, due to some technical problems, we didn't have enough time to discuss more about this interesting topic and some people had to leave before they could listen to Ly Na (due to time, business etc). So, we decided to present this again in the next discussion, along with another presentation of Hanh about Lymphomas and Leukemia.

Therefore, the next topic will be: Anemia, Bleeding Disorders, Lymphomas and Leukemia.

Our next discussion:
Time: 17h15, Monday, November 12th 2007
Topic: Hematologic Disorders - Anemia, Bleeding Disorders, Lymphomas and Leukemia (p. 298 to p.304)
Presenter: Ly Na and Hanh (both 5th year student in HMU)

HMU USMLE Group would like to invite anyone in Ha Noi, who have interests in USMLE, come to join with us.

Thank you for paying attention!

Offline Kenny Nguyen

• Interested Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
goth,
Can you tell us how you guys present a topic? by powerpoint or what? Do you speak English all the time? I'm just curious.  ;)

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »
Dear plastictobe,

We chose the topic 2 weeks ago, and therefore, we had 2 weeks to prepare the presentation. You can make a presentation in any methods you want, but perhaps, presentation by Powerpoint is the easiest and most convenient way to do. Until now, every presentation in our discussions was all made by Powerpoint. It's really good to observe.

Time allowed for one presentation is about 30-45 minutes, depends on the width and depth of the problems you're going to give. Normally, the content in USMLE First Aid is really large, thus, we can't say anything but the brief and almost summary about that problem. It means that in order to understand everything, the attendees should read everything at home before joining the discussion. In the discussion, if someone doesn't understand anything, they just raise their hands and ask for explaination. The presenter or anyone knows clearly about the problem could clarify. Of course, we do everything in English.

After presentation, we have a discussion about the topic. The discussion may be some questions taken from QBook, the cases taken from the hospital or some books, any other questions given by attendees. In general, many questions are given in a discussion.

For more detailed information, I think, you should join with us (if available)

Offline Huynh W Tran, MD

• VietMD.Net Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:33:05 PM »
gothmania,
How's your group doing? I take a quick look at your presentation and it was very nice. One quick note, Hematocrit gives a percentage of RBC found in whole blood. It does not count WBC.

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:41:17 AM »
Ah, in fact, I took it from USMLE Book. I also wondered this because everybody also knows that Hct is to measure RBC only. Thanks for your idea.

Sorry for being late in updating. I'm so busy with works at school (our school has just finished a big anniversary celebration) and don't have time to type a long post. And here it is.

Discussion November 12th 2007

Topic: Anemia, Bleeding Disorders, Lymphomas and Leukemia

Well, currently, we have finished the discussion about Anemia, Bleeding Disorders, Lymphomas and Leukemia. Ly Na and Hanh did a great work. I can't meet them to copy the slide, so I will only take a short summary:

- Ly Na's topic is Anemia and Bleeding Disorders. Because she had already presented it once, so this time, she only took a quick review.

- Hanh's topic is Lymphomas and Leukemia. I had to say that it's really hard to understand everything in this topic. But Hanh made it so simple. She had a good presentation and an easy-to-understand slide, therefore, everything seemed to be very interesting. Perhaps, she had stopped this presentation at the knowledge of a 3rd year student (who had just finished Pathology, and Lymphomas and Leukemia are one of their major knowledge).

Whatever, the presentation was really interesting.

The HMU Group currently contains students of every years, even postgraduate. Therefore, it's hard to choose a higher level topic to discuss. That's the reason why we decided to change the "atmosphere". The topic this week will be a very simple topic, but a lot of interest there: Anatomy of the Gastrointestinal System. I hope that many students will join with us. The topic is very necessary for 1st year and 2nd year student, but also other years.

Our next discussion:
Time: 17h15, Monday, November 26th 2007
Topic: Gastrointestinal Anatomy (p. 263 to p. 267)
Presenter: Huyen - 2nd year student in HMU

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:52:15 AM »
Discussion November 26th 2007

Topic: Gastrointestinal Anatomy

There were about more than 20 students joining the discussion (the number increased a little). Perhaps, the advertisement for USMLE Group and the genuine attraction of Medical discussion had effects.

As I said before, the presentation today was prepared by Huyen, a 2nd year student from the class of Odontostomatology in HMU. She had prepared an interesting presentation. A lot of pictures were included to illustrate and the slide was easy to understand.

After presenting, there were some discussions surrounding GI Histology. Well, it's due to 40% perecent of the attendees were 2nd year students (including me) and we're preparing for the coming examination of Histology. We had discussed about the stomach, the liver (sinusoids of the liver, Kupffer cells ...) and a little about the 4 layers of the gut wall. Some 5th year students asked about symptoms and mechanisms of portal hypertension, however, it's too difficult for 2nd year student to answer.

The discussions continued with a slide of questions prepared by me. I had 4 image questions, 2 MCQs and a case-study. The image questions and MCQs were really easy and everyone was really eager to answer them. But the case seemed to be tough. Just some 5th year students answered this. The 2nd year students didn't join much. Perhaps, it's because they couldn't understand completely the case and the problems given were a little bit difficult.

The discussion ended after 2 hours discussing. We decided to stop temporarily the discussion here because the next 2 months will be our final examination for the 1st semester.

Here is the case-study:

ID/CC: A 54-year-old mechanic was admitted to the hospital because of severe epigastric pain and vomitting of blood (hematemesis). It was obvious that he had been drinking heavily.

PE: The blood in his vomitus was bright red. On questioning, the physician learned that the patient had exhibited upper GI bleeding on previous occasions (ruptured esophageal varices), but never so profusely. The patient's BP was low, and his pulse rate was high. His skin and conjunctivae were slightly yellow (jaundice). His eyes appeared to be slightly sunken. Spider nevi (branching arterioles) were present in his cheeks, neck, shoulders, and upper limbs. The patient's abdomen was large, fluid-filled (ascites), and pendulous. Palpation of the patient's abdomen revealed some enlargement of the liver (hepatomegaly) and spleen (splenomegaly). Several bluish, dilated varicose veins radiated from his umbilicus (caput medusae). During a proctoscopic examination, internal hemorrhoids were observed. On questioning, the patient said that he sometimes saw blood in his stools (bowel movements), which were black and shiny.

Diagnosis: Alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver.

Clinicoanatomical Problems:

1. Discuss anatomically the basis of the man's hematemesis, esophageal varices, hemorrhoids, bloody stools, and caput medusae.
2. What is the likely cause of the ascites and splenomegaly?
3. Thinking anatomically, how would you suggest that blood pressure in the portal system be reduced?

(Case 2.21, p. 324, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 4th Edition, 1999 - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins)

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Sorry for a long delay. I've been messed up with errors of the forum dhyhn.com so I can't take any other information for you. Since a new forum has been set up, I now return to several brief information.

We currently has changed the way of activities. The registered members are divided into subgroups. All subgroups come together on a discussion held on Monday every two weeks. During the discussion, we discuss about a topic. The topic has already been designated since the last discussion. As common, after each discussion, a new topic will be chosen and tasks will be provided for subgroups. And if you are a new member, obviously, you can join with any subgroup.

The group has been active for nearly one year. We have had about 20 members and 4 subgroups so far. The discussions are carried out regularly every two weeks. Our previous topics cover the whole field of medicine, for example, The Physiology of Blood, The Anatomy of the Digestive System, Peptic Ulcer, Gastric Cancer and etc.

In the discussion, we have a lot of activities. We usually have several presentations at the beginning of the discussion. These presentations will summarize high-yield knowledge concerned with the topic. After that, we have some cases for studying. The cases can be provided via a slide, a play or based on a real situation: a patient comes to the hospital and a doctor questions him.

Our lastest discussion:

Topic: Peptic ulcer
Time: From 17.00 to 19.00 - Monday, April 21st 2008         
Venue: HMU Student Club

Content:
- Presentation: Anatomy and Physiology of the Stomach and the Duodenum.
- Case study: Imitates a real examination in hospital between a doctor and a patient.
- Games: Some informative, helpful and funny games to relax and study as well.

I'll inform you more as soon as possible.

Offline Vietnamese

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »
Hi HMU Group,

A warm-up question:

A sensation of cornea is derived from which of the following cranial nerves:

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. IV
E. V
F. VI
G. VII

Dang N. T. Thanh, MD
Hue College of Medicine and Pharmacy, Vietnam
Class of 1999

Offline chientan

• Interested Member
  • Thank You
  • Qui va piano va sano, qui va sano va longtano
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »
My answer is E, the cranial nerve V. Is it right?
To tell the truth, I can't remember much about cranial nerves. I just rule out other choices  ;D. I-for smelling,II-corresponds to visual ability,III,IV,VI:-eye movement,VII-for facial muscles.
However,I've searched on the internet for more informations. And I think it's rather useful. Here's the link:http://edinfo.med.nyu.edu/courseware/neurosurgery/

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »
HMU USMLE Group - Activities from September to late November 2008

After a long time delaying for summer holiday, now, official discussions held periodically once a fortnight have returned. We are ready to start new discussions on another specialty different from Gastroenterology. The topics now are about Cardiovascular System. Why don't we take a thorough look at the list of discussions?

Time: 17:00 - Monday, every two week from September 15th 2008 to November 24th 2008.
Venue: Lecture Room No. 11 - Ho Dac Di campus, Ha Noi Medical University

List of topics:

Sep. 15th 2008 - Anatomy and Physiology of the Heart
Sep. 29th 2008 - Physical Examination of the Heart
Oct. 13th 2008 - Hypertension
Oct. 27th 2008 - Myocardial Infarction
Nov. 10th 2008 - Mitral Stenosis
Nov. 24th 2008 - Cardiac Failure

If you find them interesting, please feel free to join with us. Any recommendations for the topics are welcome. Lastly, we look forward to see your presence in the discussions.

Long.

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:05:27 AM »
Anatomy and Physiology of the Heart

The first USMLE discussion about Anatomy and Physiology of the Heart was held successfully on Monday, September 15th 2008. We were grateful to all of your participations, including USMLE members, Mr. Kien big and especially Mr. Than - a resident doctor from the Hospital of Cardiology, Bach Mai Hospital.

Here is link for 3 presentations given during the discussion. Please click the link to be redirected to the download page: CLICK HERE

The next discussion will be held on Monday, September 29th 2008. The topic is about Physical Examination of the Heart. We look forward to all of your presence as well as ideas for the discussions.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION of THE HEART

* Time: 17:00 - 19:30, Monday 29.09.2008
* Venue: Lecture Room No. 11, Ho Dac Di Campus

After all, thanks again for your attention.

Long.

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
Physical Examination of the Heart

So the second discussion has been gone. I hope that all of you have already had a deep impression on the interesting presentations as well as ideas from resident doctors. I want to say thank to Mr. Than, Ms. Huong and Ms. Ha because of your great participation into the discussion. Your answers for our questions were very valuable.

As common, I upload all the presentation in case you want to review them. Here is the link: CLICK HERE.

I also want to inform the next discussion. We have gone through the basic foundation of the Cardiovascular system and it's time for us to discover the diseases.The next discussion will be held on Monday, October 13th 2008. The topic is about Hypertension. We look forward to all of your presence as well as ideas for the discussions.

HYPERTENSION

* Time: 17:00 - 19:30, Monday 13.10.2008
* Venue: Lecture Room No. 11, Ho Dac Di Campus

After all, thanks again for your attention.

Long.

Offline Hoàng Bảo Long

• Resident Member
  • Thank You
  • Gothmania
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »
Hehe, also, I've got you a clip. This clip is made during the summer 2008 discussions for advertisement at the beginning of the new school year.

The summer discussions were about the GI system, so we held at the Department of Gastroenterology, Bach Mai hospital. Under Dr. Binh's guide, we have summarized and developed a great amount of clinical knowledge. The topics were about digestive diseases that we had already discussed last semester: Live cirrhosis, Hepatitis, Peptic ulcer, Biliary diseases and Gastric cancer.

You will see us presenting a case (in fact, 2 cases for each discussion), then discussing about it. Dr Binh then gave comments and summarized essential knowledge around the cases and the diseases. Almost the time discussing, we used English, but Vietnamese was used at the end of the discussion so that knowledge was delivered clearly and accurately.

However, you won't find me :P because I was the cameraman :D I also edited this clip, so it can be considered my copyright :D

Here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/7s1oqimz5f